Posts Tagged ‘pot pie’
Deep-Dish Turkey Pot Pie is the perfect way to use up your leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, Christmas or any othe holiday. Optionally us chicken in place of the turkey with no change in nutrition values. Turkey, cream of chicken soup, frozen mixed vegetables and cheddar cheese make up this delicious, hearty meal and baked in a made from scratch crust. Makes (6) generous servings. Deep-Dish Turkey Pot Pie will be loved by your family, friends and guests.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
4-6 tbsp cold water
1/4 cup milk
1 (10.5 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups (cubed 1-inch), cooked chicken or turkey
1 (4 oz) pkg shredded Cheddar cheese
1 (16 oz) pkg frozen vegetable combination (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
1-1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tsp water
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Combine flour and salt in a bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in enough of the 4 to 6 tbsp cold water with a fork until flour is moistened. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a ball; flatten slightly. Wrap 1 ball in plastic food wrap; refrigerate.
3. Roll out remaining ball of dough on lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Fold into quarters. Place dough into ungreased 9 1/2-inch (deep-dish) pie pan; unfold dough, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Trim crust to 1/2 inch from edge of pan; set aside.
4. Combine milk and soup in a bowl; mix well. Add all remaining filling ingredients except egg and 1 teaspoon water. Spoon filling into prepared pie crust.
5. Roll out refrigerated ball of dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Cut a 3-inch “X” in center of pastry; cut each pastry triangle in half again. Gently fold dough into quarters. Place dough over filling; unfold. Trim, seal and crimp or flute edge. Fold back the 8 points of pastry in center to form an open circle.
6. Combine egg and 1 teaspoon water in a bowl; lightly brush crust with egg mixture. Bake 60-70 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
YIELD: 6 Servings
Original recipe and image from: Land O’Lakes, Inc. http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/1184/deep-dish-chicken-pot-pie
Calories: 570, Fat: 33g, Cholesterol: 155mg, Sodium: 850mg, Carbohydrates: 41g, Fiber: 4g, Protein: 28g
Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie is a delicious recipe for a hearty and filling fall or winter meal and you can optionally substitute the chicken with turkey. A great way to use up any leftover turkey from Thanksgiving also. Only (10) minutes of prep time and (25) minutes cooking time with only (5) ingredients to make it easy to prepare. Ingredients include: Chicken or turkey, cheese, frozen mixed vegetables, cream of chicken soup and refrigerated crescent roll dough for the crust. This is also a healthy, low calories, low fat, low carbohydrates, low sugars, diabetic-friendly and Weight Watchers (8 PointsPlus), (9 SmartPoints) recipe. Makes (8) Servings. Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie will be loved by all your family, friends and guests.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes.
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes.
3 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
1 (16 oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables,
(carrots, corn, green beans & peas), thawed, drained
1/2 lb (8 oz) 2% Velveeta® (in a box), cut into 1/2″ cubes
1 (10-3/4 oz) can condensed fat-free cream of chicken soup
1 (8 oz) can refrigerated low-fat crescent rolls