Italian Baked Eggs Casserole is a delicious and easy to prepare breakfast and/or brunch recipe that takes less than (1) hour to prepare and cook. A great option for a weekend brunch. Ingredients include: Eggs, bell peppers, “Potatoes O’Brien”, pizza sauce, and Parmesan cheese. It is also a healthy, low calories, low fat, low sugars, low carbohydrates, low sodium, diabetic-friendly, vegetarian and Weight Watchers (5 SmartPoints), (5 PointsPlus) recipe. Makes (8) servings. Italian Baked Eggs Casserole will be loved by all of your family, friends and guests.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes.
Cooking Time: 55 Minutes.
Non-Stick cooking spray
1 (20 oz) bag frozen Potatoes O’Brien, thawed,
(such as “Ore-Ida” brand)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large-size green bell pepper
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper and/or
snipped fresh basil (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Add potatoes to prepared baking dish. Drizzle oil over potatoes; toss to combine. Spread potatoes evenly in the baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. Stir potatoes; spread evenly in the baking dish again. Bake for 10 minutes more.
4. Meanwhile, slice the bell pepper into eight 1/4-1/2 inch thick rings. Remove seeds. Remove potatoes from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F. Arrange pepper rings in two rows on top of the potatoes.
5. Spread 1 tablespoon of the pizza sauce within each pepper ring, then break an egg into each pepper ring. Top each egg with a rounded teaspoon of the shredded Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until egg whites are set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. If desired, garnish with freshly ground black pepper and/or snipped fresh basil.
Yield: 8 Servings.
Serving Size: ( egg with pepper ring + 1/2 cup potatoes) per serving.
Weight Watchers (5 SmartPoints), (5 PointsPlus)
Carb Choices: 1
1/2 Fat + 1 Meat (L) + 1 Starch
Calories: 179, Total Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 188mg, Sodium: 491mg, Sugars: 2g, Carbohydrates: 18g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 9g
Original recipe and image from: Meredith Corporation: http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/recipe/sweet-pepper-hash-brown-baked-eggs/
DISCLAIMER: WeightWatchers is a registered trademark of WeightWatchers International Inc. Points, PointsPlus and SmartPoints are trademarks of WeightWatchers International Inc. Authentic information about the program is only available at your local WeightWatchers meeting. This site is not affiliated with WeightWatchers International in any way and WeightWatchers has not reviewed this site for accuracy or suitability for WW members. Information on this site is based on recollections and assumptions of its author and is not warranted for any purpose by its author. All readers are encouraged to go to a WeightWatchers meeting for actual WW info. This site is presented under the rights of the First Amendment; rights worth fighting for. All information is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before starting a new fitness regimen.
IMPORTANT: This site is not qualified in nutrition or medicine. Diabetes is a serious disease that requires medical attention by a professional. The recipes on this site should not be taken as medical advice. Always use caution when reading a recipe, and always pay attention to exchange sizes. Blood glucose levels can be affected by not following individual dietary guidelines that are set in place by a medical physician. Some of the recipes do use small amounts of sugar. Please check with your physician first. Recipes with sugar are not suitable for all diabetics.