Healthy Almond Biscotti is a delicious recipe for a traditional Italian crispy cookie recipe made healthier. It takes 20 minutes to prepare and only 10 minutes to bake these delicious and flavorful cookies. It is a low calories, low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium, low sugars, low carbohydrates, heart-healthy, diabetic and Weight Watchers (1) PointsPlus and (2 SmartPoints) recipe. Makes 32 Cookies. Healthy Almond Biscotti will be loved by all of your family, friends and guests.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes.
Non-Stick cooking spray
1/2 cup Splenda brand,
Sugar Blend for Baking
1/4 cup slivered almonds
2 tbsp butter
4 egg whites
2 tsp almond extract
2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. In a small baking pan, bake almonds 7 to 8 minutes or until almonds are golden brown, watching carefully that almonds do not burn. Set aside.
3. In medium size bowl, beat Sugar Blend and butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until mixture is smooth.
4. Add in egg whites and almond extract to mixture and beat until ingredients are well blended.
5. In large a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and almonds. Mix well.
6. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until well blended.
7. Coat two 9″x 5″ loaf pans with cooking spray. Divide dough evenly. Wet fingertips and spread half of dough evenly onto bottom of each pan.
8. Bake for 15 minutes or until a knife inserted into center comes out clean.
9. Remove pans from oven and turn out onto cutting board.
10. Once loaves are cool enough to handle, cut each loaf into 16 slices about 1/2″ thick.
11. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and place slices on top of parchment paper.
12. Bake for 5 minutes, turn slices and bake for additional 5 minutes or until slices are golden brown.
13. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
YIELD: 32 Servings.
Serving Size: 1 per serving.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus = 1
Carb Choices: 1/2
1/2 Fat + 1/2 Other Carbohydrates + 1/2 Starch
Calories: 55.7, Total Fat: 0.9g, Saturated Fat: 0.4g, Cholesterol: 1.88mg, Sodium: 65.33mg, Sugars: 1.52g, Carbohydrates: 9.2g, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 1.5g
Original recipe and image from LifeMed Media, Inc. http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/diabetic-recipes/reciperesults.html?recipeId=6344
DISCLAIMER: WeightWatchers is a registered trademark of WeightWatchers International Inc. Points, PointsPlus and SmartPoints are trademarks of WeightWatchers International Inc. Authentic information about the program is only available at your local WeightWatchers meeting. This site is not affiliated with WeightWatchers International in any way and WeightWatchers has not reviewed this site for accuracy or suitability for WW members. Information on this site is based on recollections and assumptions of its author and is not warranted for any purpose by its author. All readers are encouraged to go to a WeightWatchers meeting for actual WW info. This site is presented under the rights of the First Amendment; rights worth fighting for. All information is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before starting a new fitness regimen.
IMPORTANT: This site is not qualified in nutrition or medicine. Diabetes is a serious disease that requires medical attention by a professional. The recipes on this site should not be taken as medical advice. Always use caution when reading a recipe, and always pay attention to exchange sizes. Blood glucose levels can be affected by not following individual dietary guidelines that are set in place by a medical physician. Some of the recipes do use small amounts of sugar. Please check with your physician first. Recipes with sugar are not suitable for all diabetics.