Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Sandwiches is a delicious, nutritious and easy recipe. This is also a low calories, low fat, low carbohydrates, low cholesterol, low sodium, low sugars, heart-healthy, diabetic-friendly and Weight Watchers (7 SmartPoints), (7 PointsPlus) recipe. Ingredients include: boneless, skinless chicken breasts, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, squash and bell peppers, and cheese on sliced focaccia bread for a delicious sandwich. Makes: (8) sandwiches. Slow cooker Italian Chicken Sandwiches will be loved by all of your family, friends and guests.
(1 lb) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 (8 oz) pkg. fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14-1/2 oz) can no-salt diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 medium yellow summer squash or zucchini, halved lengthwise,
sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 large bell pepper, cut into strips
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
2 tbsp purchased basil pesto
1 (8″ to 9″) Italian flatbread (focaccia), halved horizontally
(2 oz) Provolone cheese, shredded
1. In a small bowl, combine the Italian seasoning and black pepper. Using your fingers, rub spice mixture into all sides of chicken.
2. In a 3-1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker, combine chicken, onion, mushrooms and garlic. Pour undrained tomatoes and vinegar over mixture.
3. Cover and cook on LOW 4 to 5 hours or HIGH 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
4. If using LOW heat setting, turn to HIGH. Add in the squash and bell pepper. Cover; cook for 30 minutes more.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and pesto. Spread evenly over cut sides of flatbread. Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Thinly slice chicken. Arrange chicken slices on bottom half of bread. Using a slotted spoon, spoon vegetable mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese. Add top half of bread. Cut into wedges. Cut sandwich into 8 equal sized servings.
Yield: 8 Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 Sandwich per serving.
Weight Watchers (7 SmartPoints), (7 PointsPlus)
Carb Choices: 2
1 Vegetable + 2 Starch + 2 Meat (VL) + 1 Fat
Calories: 279, Total Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Carbohydrates; 29g, Cholesterol: 47mg, Sodium: 409mg, Sugars: 4g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 22g, Vitamin A: 486(IU), Vitamin C: 24mg, Calcium: 162mg, Iron: 1mg, Potassium: 326mg
Disclaimer: WeightWatchers is a registered trademark of WeightWatchers International Inc. Points, PointsPlus and SmartPoints are trademarks of WeightWatchers International Inc. Authentic information about the program is only available at your local WeightWatchers meeting. This site is not affiliated with WeightWatchers International in any way and WeightWatchers has not reviewed this site for accuracy or suitability for WW members. Information on this site is based on recollections and assumptions of its author and is not warranted for any purpose by its author. All readers are encouraged to go to a WeightWatchers meeting for actual WW info. This site is presented under the rights of the First Amendment; rights worth fighting for. All information is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before starting a new fitness regimen.
IMPORTANT: This site is not qualified in nutrition or medicine. Diabetes is a serious disease that requires medical attention by a professional. The recipes on this site should not be taken as medical advice. Always use caution when reading a recipe, and always pay attention to exchange sizes. Blood glucose levels can be affected by not following individual dietary guidelines that are set in place by a medical physician. Some of the recipes do use small amounts of sugar. Please check with your physician first. Recipes with sugar are not suitable for all diabetics.